Saturday, May 4, 2013

Pies are for the Past

I have decided that pies are for the past. Why? Because I never make pies. But when I do, it seems that it's always a pumpkin pie. Not that I particularly like them but they're easy, and some of my favorite people really like them.

Pumpkin pie is just one of those iconic Thanksgiving additions you see all the time, on TV, in films, read in books. And Thanksgiving is supposed to be a remembrance of the bounty the Pilgrims had in making friends with the Indians. Yeah, yeah, so I have totally just messed up history and given the happy go lucky version seen in picture books, but that doesn't negate the fact that pumpkin pie is as much a part of our past as it is the present.

Last Thanksgiving, I was actually at home - the first time I've had turkey with my parents and brother in two years. And I loved it. The pumpkin pie for that year, I didn't make, but it came from a very good family friend who thinks of us as family.

Thanksgiving of 2011, I made pumpkin pie for Dillon. First time I had ever made it using those particular ingredients but it turned out pretty good and we even had a premade pie shell to boot. It took 3 grocery stores and two people but we finally found some in the Maho Market. (Never thought you'd hear me talk about the island again, did you?)

Thanksgiving 2010, I made pumpkin pie and spiced nuts with Candice. Gluten free and yummy to boot. This was my first foray into pie making in general.

In the two years of my time on Sint Maarten, I made pie each year and now it seems a bit like a tradition, even though it didn't start out that way.

This time, the pie was made at the end of April, the beginning of English springtime, and reminded me of the good times on the island, where we all shared our holidays together. I have met some of the most amazing people on that tiny little 37 square mile island and I know that even if we might not be together now, we'll definitely see each other again. After all, who could have predicted that I'd be in Worthing doing my core clinical rotations, and spending my evenings over at the Warnes Building with Chey or watching Mickey cartoons with Emma.

So without any more sappy stories, here's the pumpkin pie recipe I've been using consistently. In terms of crust, use it if you want or if you have it, but make sure you either make a deep dish pie or have two shallow tins.

Pumpkin Pie
3 large eggs
1 15-oz can of pumpkin puree (I use Libby's brand)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt

Whisk the eggs with the cream and sugar. Add the pumpkin puree and spices and mix until everything is well incorporated.
Look at the speed of that whisking! Orange pumpkin yum!
Pour into pie shell and bake at 350 F (180 C) for 45-50 minutes.

** For those in the UK, Jus-Rol brand shortcrust pastry is AMAZING. It's buttery and all you have to do is take it out, let it defrost on the counter, roll it out and place it into your baking dish.
This is what my super amazing baking helper and I did for the pie. Rolled it out to 1/2 cm thick, placed it over the dish, cut off the excess.
Dill rolling out the dough
Then we re-rolled the pastry for a second dish. Split the pumpkin pie filling between the two crusts and I made some cute cutouts for the tops.
 
Prebaking; sitting on the stovetop


These took only about 35-40 minutes in a fan-assisted oven at 180 C since they weren't that deep.
Maple Leaf
Jack o' Lantern
And we obviously had to chop into Jack first.
Oh no! He's missing part of his face!
Sadly, poor Jack did not survive the night....



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you find pumpkin purée around Worthing? I am wanting to get some!

Exiledmuse said...

I actually found it at Waitrose. But it's not always available. You might have to wait until around Thanksgiving/November time. That's when we found some. Good luck on your hunt!